Indemnity

With an indemnity plan (sometimes called fee-for-service), you can use any medical provider (such as a doctor and hospital). You or they send the bill to the insurance company who pays part of it. Usually, you have a deductible, the amount of the covered expenses you must pay before the insurer starts to reimburse you -- such as $200 -- which you pay each year before the insurer starts paying.
Once you meet the deductible, most indemnity plans pay a percentage of what they consider the usual and customary charge for covered services. The insurer generally pays 80 percent of the usual and customary costs and you pay the other 20 percent known as coinsurance. If the provider charges more than the usual and customary rates, you must pay both the coinsurance and the excess charges.

© 2012 SPHEREC GROUP LLC

 

45 Main Street

Brooklyn, NY. 11201

 

 

T: 347-560-1296

F: 212-918-0744